Leon County Police Misconduct Claims Attorneys
Civil Rights Advocates in North Florida and South Georgia
Sometimes citizens need protection from the very police who are supposed "protect and serve." The law firm of Marie A. Mattox, P.A. stands up for those whose inalienable civil rights, as established in the U.S. Constitution, have been violated by those in government authority.
Based in Tallahassee, we represent people harmed by police misconduct, unjust treatment in jail and abuse of power or denial of constitutional rights. Our experienced trial attorneys handle civil rights litigation in state and federal courts of North Florida and South Georgia.
If you believe your rights were violated, contact us today to discuss your case and explore your legal remedies in a confidential case evaluation.
Police Misconduct Lawyers
The Fourth Amendment, Fourteenth Amendment and other laws provide important protections to those who cross paths with police. Our civil rights lawyers have held law enforcement agencies and correctional facilities accountable for a wide range of abuses, namely:
- Excessive force — We pursue compensation for beatings, manhandling of people in handcuffs, improper use of Tasers, injuries inflicted by police dogs, improper use of deadly force, and other police brutality or disregard for the safety of suspects.
- False arrest — We have represented citizens who were pulled over, detained, questioned and searched for no probable cause whatsoever, including cases of planted evidence, racial profiling and trumped-up charges of resisting arrest.
- Civil rights abuses in jail or prison — The constitutional prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment is routinely violated. We have handled cases of beatings by guards, failure to stop assaults by other inmates, abusive use of solitary confinement, deprivation of medical care and other inhumane treatment of prisoners.
We are skilled at getting around the "blue wall of silence" among police officers and prison guards to hold lawless officers to justice and to compensate our clients accordingly. While we cannot demand that a police officer be fired as a legal remedy, our advocacy has often contributed to disciplinary actions and terminations of those officers.
Other Civil Rights Violations
We can explore your potential claim relating to any abuse of constitutional rights and civil rights:
- First amendment rights to free speech and peaceable assembly
- Fourteenth amendment rights to due process
- Discrimination in employment, housing, education, government services, commerce, lending, voting or other matters covered under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and subsequent legislation
- Civil lawsuits for gay bashing, religious intolerance, racially motivated violence or other hate crimes where protected by local ordinance or Florida or Georgia statutes
Protecting Individual Rights for More Than 20 Years
Founding attorney Marie Mattox has handled civil rights litigation for more than 20 years in state, federal and appeals courts of Florida and Georgia. She and her associates are committed to upholding people's rights and exposing injustice.
Call us toll free at 877-811-8563 or contact us online to schedule a confidential consultation with one of our Tallahassee civil rights violations lawyers.